Left: Bill Martens. Right: The Shawmut-built Del Frisco's Grille in Santa Monica.
Bill Martens, Chief Development Officer, Del Frisco’s Restaurant Group
1. Who was the biggest influence on your career, and why?
My father has had the biggest influence on my career. He has been a source of inspiration and has helped guide my actions personally and professionally. I credit him for my work ethic and values, and appreciate the input he’s provided me throughout my career.
2. What’s the best advice you’ve ever received, professionally or personally?
Kind of a Golden Rule hybrid—treat others well, live with no regrets, and earn your success.
3. What’s the nicest compliment you’ve received?
My son telling me I’m the best dad in the world!
4. What was the most challenging business decision you ever had to make?
I’ll give you two: taking a risk on a career change at the start of the ’08 recession, and approving construction on a large-scale project with significant budget and timing uncertainty.
5. If you could eat only one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
A crab cake, lettuce wedge, bone-in filet, and Del's potato from my favorite steakhouse!