Left: Adam Stover. Right: The Landing at Petco Park, which Shawmut and Populous collaborated on.
Adam Stover, Director of Populous Design Build, Senior Interior Designer/Principal, Populous
1. Who was the biggest influence on your career and why?
My parents have been the biggest influence on my career. They instilled in me very early on that hard work and determination will get you anywhere and that nothing is handed to you—you have to earn it. They showed me this not only through words, but through their work ethic and approach. I credit them for my work ethic, values, and philanthropic goals.
2. What’s the best advice you’ve ever received, professionally or personally?
There are three pieces of advice that drive how I go through life:
1. I have a quote by Pele that I look at often: “Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing.”
2. Early in my career I had a client tell me that a key to building respect is picking up the phone and approaching the problem head on.
3. Be the best listener in the room.
3. What’s the nicest compliment you’ve received?
My kids saying they want to be like dad someday.
4. What was the most challenging business decision you ever had to make?
I never look at something as a challenge, I approach it as an opportunity to grow. There are so many great firms around the country; every time you compete for a new project, you really have to challenge yourself to be successful.
5. Who is your favorite sports team?
I grew up a Royals fan, but I follow the seasons and stats of all the teams I am blessed to work with.